No smoke detector in apartment of fatal Trump Tower fireNews 

No smoke detector in apartment of fatal Trump Tower fire


No smoke detector in apartment of fatal Trump Tower fire

Fire officials have found no evidence of a smoke detector in the fire-torn Trump Tower apartment where a 67-year-old man died Saturday.

An alarm sounded as the blaze ripped through Todd Brassner’s 50th-floor apartment, but it came from a smoke detector inside building ductwork, and no detector has been recovered from his actual apartment, according to FDNY officials.

Building owners are responsible for ensuring a smoke detector is in place when a unit is sold, but residents are responsible for maintaining them after that, the official said.

Brassner, an art dealer pal of Andy Warhol, bought the unit in 1996. But he fell on hard times and was struggling to sell the pad.


There were no sprinklers in the apartment because they were not required by law.

The fire, which also injured four Bravest, started in the bedroom and appears to be accidental, officials said. They are investigating whether electrical wiring played a role.


Related posts

Leave a Comment